[Rpm-metadata] xml update

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 16 19:58:45 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>>You asked where the data is going to come from. Since I've looked at
>>your code,
>>I knows what you need from rpm-python and, ultimately, rpmlib.
>>

>yes - b/c there are and will continue to be packages that don't have
>this data.
>

>>You stated that you had a time constraint of FC2, I'm offering to beat
>>that deadline
>>if you wish.
>>

>I was saying I wanted to see about having repositories use the metadata
>format we've been talking about for Fedora Core 2.
>
>So that in 4-6 months from november there can be more available
>repositories for everyone.
>
>and the pkg managers can go back to writing cool features into their
>programs.

Yup, I wish cool new features in my package manager too. ;-)

>>Bloat is always bad. A considerable number of features got
>>suggested/added to common
>>metadata today, it's entirely unclear (to me anyways) whether the
>>suggestions are
>>good, bad, or ugly, and I have no clue at all what you are going to add.
>>

>you suggested most of them!

Please, I only voiced these suggestions. Other people have been making
exactly
these suggestions for rpm RFE's for years.

>so why exactly don't you know whether they are good or bad?

Because I know only the voices in my head, I cannot easily detect consensus.

I await you redaction to see what ideas were good, and what was bad or ugly.

73 de Jeff