[Rpm-metadata] xml update

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Thu Oct 16 18:24:40 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 13:40, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > I agree on "what is specific to particular packaging tool" part BUT
> > things like priority and Enhances are general concepts which *could* be
> > used by other tools as well. Lets say redcarpet adds support for
> > priority.. and then we have two different entries for the thing, one for
> > apt-rpm and one for redcarpet, both having the same data. Oh and one
> > more place to present that in Debian world...
>
> I don't have a problem either way, but I will point out that there's no
> reason why, say, Red Carpet couldn't make use of the "deb" namespace
> when adding support for priority:

And just as a data point: Red Carpet already uses a priority for
updates, displaying the highest urgency to the user for the updates
between the current installed version and the latest version available
in the various repos.

We're using "necessary", "urgent", "suggested", "feature", and "minor".
I don't really know enough about the deb format for these, but one
problem we have with apt repos (both deb and rpm) is that all updates
currently show up as "suggested".

We might have to wedge a different scheme into the 5 we currently use,
but I think that's probably ok.

So I am down for a general use priority field.

Joe