[Rpm-metadata] xml update

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Oct 16 18:21:52 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 21:12, seth vidal wrote:
> > My feelings exactly: whether rpm supports something or not isn't really
> > relevant, the metadata can well have additional stuff which can be used
> > among several depsolvers.
>

> Can or is?
>
> If they ARE used b/t multiple depsolvers the sure. But I don't think
> anyone wants the union of all things that _COULD_ be used by more than
> one depsolver - and that's what you're talking about here. Not a
> graceful intersection with namespaces for desired other areas.

"Can", for "obvious" cases. The fact that none of the current depsolvers
support something that another depsolver supports has something to do
with the fact that there's no common metadata?

For a example I see Enhances & Suggests as something which would be
useful for many depsolvers. Installing xmms? You know, this only gives
you ogg support, you probably want to play mp3's as well, should I
install xmms-mp3 for you as well?

> > Which reminds me.. the current xml suggestion doesn't have anything for
> > per-repository/channel data. I suppose that's just "haven't had time
> > yet" from Seths part but that deserves attention as well. Things like
> > repository name, distro/version compatibility info... Apt's
> > release-files have all sorts of information which needs to be mapped
> > somewhere and this is imho a good chance to make the release* entries
> > more understandable to non-debian folks :)
>
> in a different file. Read back through the archives:
> One file lists the repositories/channels on a site
>
> 1. repo - location - timestamp (or some such thing)
> 2. metadata for each listed in the above
> 3. file lists
> 4. misc other data

Ok, fine by me. Like said I haven't had time to really follow this
discussion so apologies if suggesting something that's already been
discussed to death :)

	- Panu -