[Rpm-metadata] metadata script and sample

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Sat Oct 4 16:43:50 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>>>Do debian packages not list the license?
>>
>>No.
>>

 > Any particular reason? When I used debian in the past the licensing of
 > any particular package seemed to be a very important issue on the
 > mailing lists. I figured licensing would figure prominently in the
 > package metadata.

Every debian package contains a file called "copyright" that includes
verbose license information for each package.  (While I don't use debian
my assumption is) If a user wants to see the license information, they
will need to extract the deb and look at that file.  (I have no idea if
this is a required file, i.e. third party deb creators need to have such
a file, but I know all of the debian group packages have it.)

--Mark