[Rpm-metadata] metadata script and sample

Darrin Thompson darrint at progeny.com
Fri Oct 3 15:39:33 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
> In general this is just a 'proof of concept script' but the stuff is
> clearly the basis for what the metadata would look like.

I'm comparing the metadata file against the Debian way as I understand
it. Real Debian developers should feel free to correct me.

Could the following fields be punted into an RPM specific namespace?

pkgid
license
vendor
group
BuildHost (presumably you meant build-host?)
header-range
color
url

Also, the following fields could possibly be mapped to deb fields:

packager - Maintainer
requires - Depends
provides - Provides
conflicts - Conflicts
obsoletes - Replaces

However, do the semantics of the fields really match from the
perspective of apt/yum/etc.?

I like the idea of applying XML Base to the location field. If I were to
a Debian repository converter, I would probably do this:

<metadata xml:base="../../..">
     <whatever href="pool/main/looks-just-like-Filename-field"/>
</metadata>

That would retain mirror friendliness and not hose anybodys current
flexibility, no?

--
Darrin Thompson
Progeny