[Rpm-metadata] metadata script and sample

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Fri Oct 3 15:18:54 UTC 2003

jbj asked me to suggest some constraints on a license field.

At MontaVista we have a very specific usage, and have specific constrains.

We allow the following text to be in the license field:

Apache
Artistic
Artistic/GPL
BSD
GPL
GPL/BSD
GPL/LGPL
GPL/Other
LGPL
LGPL/BSD
MPL/GPL
MVL
MVL Depl
MVL Dev
Other
Public Domain

The MVL* licenses are specific to some of our stuff.. (MontaVista
Licensed is what MVL stands for...)

The "/" indicates that the package either contains things licensed by
and/or the listed licenses.

The "Other" category is the catch all for things that don't fit the
list.. (i.e. the zlib license)..  We don't list the zlib license because
it was a single package license..  All of the other licenses were used
by more then one package.. (or by a single "major" package and looked
like they could be used by someone else...)

The question that comes to mind is the whole "/" syntax is fine for a
human reading, but doesn't strike me as programmatically (i.e. XML) very
correct.  It would be better to have a contrained list of licenses, if
the "License" field does follow it gets set to "Other".. otherwise all
of the licenses listed (seperated by '/'?) get represented in some way?

--Mark