[Rpm-metadata] release/something metadata file

Jeff Licquia licquia at progeny.com
Wed Nov 12 04:06:38 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 00:40, Jeff Licquia wrote:
>
>>seth vidal wrote:
>>
>>>I think that could work how would apt go about dealing with a repository
>>>that does NOT have that data, though? Would it be able to complete?
>>
>>If done right, it should.  Currently, Release information is optional in
>>apt; if the file isn't there, it's skipped.
>
> No I think I miscommunicated. I meant the apt-namespace data you
> mentioned before.
>
> If the release/repository file just had the common-namespace data in it
> would that be sufficient for apt or would it break? Could you list the
> things you'd require out of this file for apt?

No, no, I was the obtuse one.  The "skip if no file" behavior is apt's
current behavior, as in apt right this second.  So when we add XML
support, missing apt namespace data in the toplevel index shouldn't be a
problem, since it should be treated as if the Release file doesn't exist.

In other words, apt should work OK if the apt namespace data is missing.