[Rpm-metadata] A few questions about the format

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Tue Nov 11 00:43:32 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 03:28, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 19:27, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > (1) The 'type' attribute in the package element. I can see the
> > advantages of making this CDATA, so that we are not just restricted to
> > RPM and Debian-based packages, but what are the suggested values? Should
> > we say that this will be "rpm" for RPMs and "deb" (or what) for .debs?
> > Are there other types we care about at the moment?
>
> Red Carpet will need it for RC-specific package sets, so we should keep
> it open-ended but with a convention.

OK, so to accomodate what everybody has said, I am going to list a few
possible type values and describe their semantics and mention that other
things can also occur. Elsewhere I have pointed out that things which
are not understood by a particular program should be ignored, so it's
all consistent.

Malcolm