[Rpm-metadata] groups storage - some common ground here too?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 3 06:06:44 UTC 2003

I was thinking about the other files outside of just package metadata in
the lists and I was wondering about grouping metadata. Right now yum can
read the comps groups xml file, as can redhat-config-packages. I know
apt uses the idea of task-oriented groups and I know rc has a grouping
mechanism as well. Would there be any interest in seeing if we could
agree on a groups format as well?

I was proposing to use the current comps.xml format
(http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/anaconda-installer/comps.html) that
is being used in anaconda right now(comps.xml - but just the grouplist
section). With a few modifications:

1. add more flexibility to the 'types' for the packagereq's, groupreq's
and metapkgs

2. maybe remove the metapkg concept altogther as it's distinguishing
characteristics from a groupreq is not immediately obvious

Thoughts? Would this be flexible enough for what apt's Tasks do? What
about for red carpet? Clearly, these groups are not, typically,
assembled from metadata stored IN a package but it seems like everyone
uses this sort of functionality. Would it be worthwhile to work on
defining this now?

Thanks