[Rpm-metadata] website, a few updates, some new code and an idea or two

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 16 04:48:06 UTC 2003

Hi all,
 So I made a website outside of ~skvidal for this stuff:
  http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/

I also updated a few items:
 1. removed all attributed named 'id' from the dtd and from the generate
code - replaced them with pkgid to not confuse with the ID attribute tag
common in xml
 2. uploaded some new import code with some speed enhancements,
callbacks for processing and the search mechanisms implemented
 3. as I think we discussed before, for signing, simply a detached
signature on repomd.xml should make the rest fairly safe as repomd.xml
contains md5sums of the other files. So if repomd.xml checks out against
it's sig then the others should be valid to, provided their md5sums
check out.
 4. for the rpm-related and possibly for the deb folks there has been
some discussion on the fedora mailing lists and irc channels about
standardizing on the on-client format for repository lists. So that a
user who configured their system to access certain repos in yum gets the
same repos in apt and in up2date, system-config-packages (formerly known
as redhat-config-packages), etc, etc. If this format were something that
was:
   a. xml
   b. namespace-accessible
   c. in a config.d configuration for packages laying in new
repositories

would the various parties be interested in discussing a format a bit
more? I understand if this is uninteresting or not-valuable to all of
you, I'm mostly interested in targeting apt-rpm, yum, and the various
red hat-written tools so that fedora core users only have to configure
repositories once, in one place and all of their tools know about them.

so let me know what you think, oh and those of you in rpm/python world
please take a look at the importing code again and let me know what you
think, especially with the metadata in the samples subdir off of
(http://linux.duke.edu/metadata)

Thanks!