[Rpm-metadata] metadata list and discussion over tapas tonight

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Tue Aug 5 19:20:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 14:11, seth vidal wrote:
> I'd kinda want to move away from that - it also limits you from being
> able to run fun commands like yum provides '/some/misc/file' and being
> able to search on it w/some percentage of correctness. I do like the
> suggestion of the file listing  as a separate file that adrian had. It
> increases the complexity but only barely.

Yeah, that's one of the things I wish RC did as well.

> Would this affect you then if in your case you decided to transfer both
> the filelist file AND the packages file at the same time
>
> that's a client implementation issue and not a big deal for the
> repository
> but for the repository it gives a more simple layout for separation
> purposes.

Yeah, I think this is a reasonable approach if it was also kosher to
provide the limited subset within the package metadata as well for the
purposes of dependency resolution.  Otherwise we'll have to keep either
the entire file list in memory or load and parse it off of disk, neither
of which is particularly palatable.

Joe