[Rpm-metadata] metadata list and discussion over tapas tonight

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Aug 5 16:58:34 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 11:13, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:11:48AM -0400, Peter Bowen wrote:
> > > package filelists: complete file listings per package
> >
> > One file per package on the server?
>
>   Hum, no that would be unmanageable, I would think one file per
> collection and association betheen the NVRE and the set of file
> path it exports.

I did a test of just a complete filelist from severn into a single file.
20M uncompressed with gzip -9 it's 1.5MB. Let's say the xml syntax
information increases this by  500K - it's still 2MB.
Not a lot to xfer or store.

>  But I'm still not totally convinced it's the right way.
> To me extracting the File info which may be needed for resolution
> and putting then in the geberal packages description file is
> the simpler way for 99.99% of the cases.

geberal? I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Internally resolve the
file dep w/i the repository and dump the file lists?

> > I think that the absolute minimum list of things that need to be in the
> > file are Name, Epoch, Version, Release, Arch, package file size, and
> > absolute/relative path to the package file.
>
>   I would tend to add the short description field (the one line one),
> and truncated if it happens to be too long.

I'd be comfortable with that - if someone wants the whole description
the various clients can grab the rpm header via the byte ranges and get
the whole description - though I will admit doing some judicial
file-size judgments would be useful here.